All caring owners want to make sure their dog gets everything they need from a healthy diet.
But with hundreds of pet food options on supermarket shelves, in pet stores, and online, from dry, hypoallergenic dog food to raw dog food, it can be hard to know what to buy.
We made this decision a little easier by ranking the most popular dog foods according to our members.
For the first time we tested 2,594 which one? About their dog food to discover the best and worst brands to satisfy customers.
Find results in our dog food brands sorted by customer table below.
What is the best dog food brand?
British Veterinary Association advice is that any pet food commercially manufactured in the UK that meets PFMA guidelines will have full pet food requirements.
As long as you buy a complete commercial pet food, your dog gets what he needs and you don’t need to supplement it with anything else.
The survey results below highlight which ones? Members’ favorite pet food brands (ranked by customer score). We also asked them to score points for value for money and whether they agreed little or strongly with these statements:
- Notice a difference in their dog’s coat
- Their pet eats food at once
- Their dog shows excitement while preparing food
- The bowl is always licked empty.
Dog food brands rated by customers
In addition to individual aspect ratings, we gave each brand an overall customer score, based on overall customer satisfaction and likelihood of being recommended.
If you want to know how to register your dog’s food or interest in a better brand, check out the table below.
If you are not yet a member,for immediate access.
Which popular dog food is the cheapest?
The variety of package sizes and different portion size recommendations make it difficult to determine how much your dog’s food will cost you each month.
We’ve compared the monthly cost of the three most popular dog food brands, as well as the best and worst brands with results from our survey.
Costs are based on a medium sized dog (10 kg), such as a French Bulldog, and a large medium sized dog (20 kg), such as a Border Collie, on a simple dry food diet.
Here’s a comprehensive overview comparing monthly costs between themAnd And And , And dog food
Medium and large dogs: monthly food costs
If you are not yet a member,for immediate access.
How do I know if my dog’s food is healthy?
According to Andrew Miller, pet nutritionist at Premier Nutrition, “As long as commercial food (whether dry, wet, frozen, raw, store-bought, grain-free, etc.) To provide everything a pet needs to stay healthy.Some pets have specific nutritional needs based on clinically identified issues and should be fed diets appropriate to their needs under veterinary supervision.
PFMA’s Nicola Bali adds; All “complete” pet food by law must contain all nutrients in the correct proportions that a pet needs for healthy bodily function.
Whether you choose a grain-free dog food, raw dog food, hypoallergenic dog food or just plain kibble, commercial dog food that meets the PFMA guidelines is nutritionally sound. You can check outTo find out if a pet food brand manufacturer is a member.
Moreover, it comes down to what your pet likes to taste and how much you are willing to spend.
What is key is how much you feed your canine companion, as obesity in pets is increasing rapidly.
Is my dog overweight?
Pet obesity is a top priority for veterinarians. According to The Kennel Club, between 30% and 60% of dogs are now overweight.
Daniela dos Santos of the British Veterinary Association (BVA) told us that “obesity is a serious health and welfare problem for pets and we know that more and more veterinary practices are seeing obese animals coming out of their doors with weight related issues such as musculoskeletal diseases. Breathing problems and diabetes.
She adds that “it is essential for owners to understand how to recognize a healthy body shape, which can be a more useful way to tell if your pet is overweight rather than relying on weight alone. Owners are advised to seek advice from their veterinarian on proper nutrition, exercise and how to identify a healthy body.
See our rundown ofTo walk your dog in the dark.
dog weight check
Ultra Thin – Less than 20% of your ideal body weight
- Easily see the ribs, spine, and hip bones (in short-haired pets)
- Visible loss of muscle mass
- The subcutaneous fat cannot be felt
Underweight – 10-20% less than ideal body weight
- Easily see the ribs, spine and hip bones
- Clear for the waist and abdomen
- A little fat can be felt under the skin
- Easily felt the ribs, spine and hip bones
- Tummy tuck and visible waist
- A small amount of fat can be felt
Weight gain – 10-15% above ideal body weight
- The ribs, spine, and hip bones are hard to feel
- Waist is barely visible with a wide back
- A layer of fat on the abdomen and base of the tail
Obesity – more than 15% of ideal body weight
- It is very difficult to feel the ribs, spine and hip bones under a thick layer of fat
- The waist is not visible and the abdomen may sag noticeably
- Heavy fat pads on the lower back and at the base of the tail
Is my dog obese? Marking spot
The Kennel Club suggests looking for:
- Bigger, rounder face
- Reluctance to go for walks
- difficulty walking
- Easily out of breath
- Thick fat neck
- The ribs are not easily felt if you run your hands on their side
- Waist blurred
If you think your four-legged friend is overweight, book a visit with your local vet for advice and a plan of action.
How much should I feed my dog?
Make sure you feed your dog the correct amount by measuring each meal on a set of weight scales. A few extra pieces of food may not seem like much, but it can contribute significantly to weight gain.
“Our survey showed that 59% of dog owners always measure their dog’s food”
Most commercial dog foods come with feeding instructions on the packaging based on the dog’s weight and activity levels. If you are ever unsure, ask your vet.
Your vet will be able to advise you on how often you should feed your dog, depending on his individual needs.
How to choose the right food for dogs
Here’s what animal charity PDSA suggests you should look for and what to avoid when choosing the right dog food.
- Something age-appropriate for your dog (eg puppy, adult, old)
- Commercial dog food labeled “complete”
- Member of the Pet Food Manufacturers Association (PFMA)
- Table scraps and human food as they may lead to an imbalance in your dog’s diet
- Give your dog bones because they can cause a blockage and harm your dog
1. Toxic foods for dogs
- unnatural sweeteners
- Fried and fatty foods
- garlic and onion
- Grapes and raisins
- Milk, cream and cheese
Five essential things to remember when feeding your dog
- Protein is one of the most important food groups that come from meat or grains in pet food. Wet dog food appears to have lower protein levels than dry dog food due to its higher water content.
- However, if you feed your dog the recommended amounts of a whole wet food, the dog should get a similar daily amount of protein as he gets from dry food.
- The ingredients on the package are listed in order of quantity, so if meat is at the top of the list, it means the product has more meat than any other ingredient.
- If the front of the package indicates one type of meat or another food, such as rice or vegetables, the ingredient list should show the quantity actually present in the food. So a dog food “with beef and vegetables” should tell you the proportion of beef and vegetables it consists of.
- Do not overfeed your pet; Measure food to make sure you’re serving the right amount and limit rewards.
Find out how much to feed your dog and other common questions answered by your vet by heading over to our guide to.
Which? Scan dog food
Which? Customer scores are based on how satisfied customers are with the brand in general, and whether or not they recommend it.
To find out the best and worst dog food brands, in August 2019 we polled 4,684 which? Members who have recently purchased pet food and asked about their experiences with their chosen brand. More than two and a half thousand of these were dog owners.
If you are thinking of buying a new dog food, head over to our guideFor the latest advice.
For more details on the top-selling brands, visit our reviews ofAnd And And And .
Related: find .