Hello, neighbors! It’s me again, Debora Whitehead, your host of the Port Jefferson Daily.
First, today’s weather:
Partly sunny and warmer. High: 83, low: 64.
Here are the top 5 stories in Port Jefferson today:
- Port Jefferson Elementary School found a way to benefit the students’ mental health and emotional being by using therapy dogs that visit classes weekly. The idea emerged three years ago when students dealt with COVID-19 stress and remote learning. The school’s psychology teacher started bringing dogs to keep kids happy. The idea was so successful that it became a weekly program. (News 12 New Jersey)
- Port Jefferson Retailers Association is getting ready to give all shoppers in the community two days of great deals! The Sidewalk Sale will be held on May 28-29! (PJCofC)
- Port Jefferson Mather Hospital will support all struggling with knee & hip joint issues by putting on a complimentary breakfast Seminar on June 11 at 8:30 am The event will be hosted at the Spring Lake Golf Club located at 30 E Bartlett Rd, Middle Island. (Patch)
- Port Jeff Royals finished their season with a win! The victory came with a 10-run margin against the Shelter Island team on May 13. Coach Jesse Rosen celebrated the achievement of his 100th victory leading the Royals into a record. (@tbrnewsmedia)
- Long Island police crossed the whole Island in a ‘Long Island Wave’ operation. From May 2 to May 13, police team up with local law enforcement officials to look for fugitives and gang members. (LInews12)
Today in Port Jefferson:
- Defensive Driving Comsewogue Public Library. (9:45 am)
- Mama Mia! – Theater Three. (8 pm)
From my notebook:
- Arooj Chaudhry will be at Port Jefferson Free Library to demonstrate making a LinkedIn profile for job searching and networking on May 24 at 7 pm in the Conference Room. (PJFL)
- Port Jefferson Free Library: “Create your patriotic wreath just in time for Memorial Day and Independence Day!” (Facebook)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Port Jefferson Village: “I am looking for a quartz fabrication shop. – We have had to redo a kitchen. Thanks.” (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out this Saturday! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update.
— Debora Whitehead
About me: Have a story idea? Please get in touch with me! I would love to hear from you! Wife, mom, foodie, traveler, and nature lover.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Port Jefferson Daily? Contact me at PortJefferson@Patch.com.